Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Apstilling & Sending Dossier to Agency

WOW...that was a crazy 2 days!

We got home on Friday night, so I had to wait until Monday to get everything signed at the bank, but our I-800a approval notice was indeed waiting for us when we got home. So I went to the bank and got everything notarized (my hand hurts). Then I headed downtown Chicago to find the Apstilling place. Parking was $29. It took about 1 hour and she handed me back all but about 10 pages and said she couldn't apstill (spelling) an original document. So I gave a call to Lina (our adoption agency contact). She said to make a copy and get it notarized again. Well these documents were signed my my husband and au pair, so I thought I had to go home to get them, but Lina said that I could sign them (medical forms and FBI approvals). So, then I found a Fed EX/Kinko's and made copies, but of course I didn't have a blank notary affidavit, so I had to buy a flash drive and get it off my laptop (good thing I had my laptop). Then I found a bank and had them notarized, the back to the apstilling office. It was a total of $122 ($2 for each signature). Then I went home to organize everything.......There was 1 page missing!!!

So, today I went back to the bank, then the apstilling office, paid $2 more dollars and then back to Fed Ex. It was $52 to mail everything to Lina. Then there was the next set of payments along with it. So, I have added a lot to my running total at the bottom of this blog.

So now it will be translated.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats! Mailing your dossier is such a huge step!! I was so relieved when all of that paperwork was out of my hands.....but of course, then the real waiting began :-) hopefully your wait will be short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats and what a ride! Hopefully everything will be smooth sailing for you all form here on out. Yay! You are one giant step closer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I stink typing- "from" not "form" lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!!! I'm glad it's finally DONE! That was a crazy 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY APOSTILLING! I think I have lived a boring life, I definitely did not have that many items- I think my total was like $20. What a crazy two days, but it's nice to get them back the same day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would have fallen over and cried after figuring out I was missing one page!!! You have got the stuff strong people are made out of!!!! Congratulations for getting that behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds about right.... our paperwork process was pretty stressful too. I kept wanting to say when we seemed to hit another wall, "but this is for a baby. Can't this be easier... and cheaper." Remember, one day closer to your baby.

    ReplyDelete