Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Three cheers for our federal government!

I never thought I would be excited about the kindness of a federal government employee, but the 2 people we dealt with today were nothing short of wonderful. We got home from our vacation last week to find only an appointment notice for our au pair. her appointment was this Friday, so I went into the office on the notice and found out that it takes 3 weeks to reschedule for another appointment, but we could try to come when they are not busy and they might just take us...BUT we had to have all 3 appointment letters to do that. So, I called the help line and found out that there was a computer glich and David and my letters were coming. Our appointment turned out to be for Aug 18th (another bad day for us). SOOOOO, today we all went in at 8 am this morning and they were VERY busy. A VERY nice man told me to come back at 2 pm and they would take care of us. We did and were all fingerprinted before all of our scheduled appointments... I can't believe it!

Anyone know the approximate wait time from day of USCIS fingerprinting to approval letter received??

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome. I know the timeframe has varied, but we received ours in 7 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I called our USCIS officer the next day and she told me our approval was in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news! Isn't it great when someone is unexpectedly kind &helpful? Seems like we got ours (in Texas) pretty quickly, less than 2 weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! I'm glad to hear they have redeemed themselves! We also had to just "show-up" because we needed them renewed before we left for Poland. We had 3 days to get it done and they wouldn't do it without proof that we were actually leaving! I'm so glad that yours went much smoother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW is all I can say. You must have done something right. Our building would never have handeled the situation in the same humane way. Good for your family. One more thing to check off the list.

    ReplyDelete