Friday, July 2, 2010

Update

I'm sorry that I left everyone sort of hanging... We were also left hanging. The grandmother was ready to bring the girl to us the day after I posted that last message, then she was going to call, then she had second thoughts, then she was going to call (you get the picture). I guess she had a bad week with her (I heard she pulled her diaper off and pooped on the carpet). Her husband doesn't want to raise her and she does...so we are not sure if suddenly she will call us again. I sent her a nice e-mail basically saying we are ready and willing for her but that we are moving forward with our Polish adoption plans (I got no response so far). We decided we would adopt this 3 1/2 year-old if it is meant to be, but it is looking doubtful. Poor girl..hopefully they step up and care for her like she should be cared for.

So, we got a fancy letter from the Dept. of Homeland security saying that they received our I800a application and that we will receive an appointment notice in the mail. I am feeling guilty because this is a busy week for us at our Michigan campground and then we are going out of town for a week, so I am not getting my mail in IL until July 15th. I hope we don't miss the appointment to get our fingerprints done.

To answer one of my intials questions about this whole process----YES, you have to get fingerprinted twice for this process, once for the FBI and once for the Dept. of Homeland Securtiy...because of course they don't talk to each other.

Also, we sent our 2 copies of our homestudy to get apostilled in North Carolina and it took only about a week and a half to get it back. So, everything still has to be apstilled in IL, but we are waiting for the I800 approval.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you have had a lot going on in a short period of time. I am sure you're feeling the stress of it all right now. I agree with you.... if it is meant to be, it will happen.

    We also had to do two fingerprints...one for the state/FBI and one for USCIS. I can't imagine, having to get two apostilles for each document...is that what you are saying? What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a very stressful situation, with the grandmother going back & forth, ugh! We also did 2 sets of fingerprints, biometric for USCIS and ink for our homestudy and something else....funny that I can't remember :-)

    Good luck with the continuing paperwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on moving forward with the I800 notification- I hope you at least had a nice time at your campground in MI- that sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete